In the past decade the number of single women has more than doubled official figures reveal. Many have chosen to live an independent life rather than having a traditional husband. Also 1 in 5 women will never have children. Also 40% of all households with children under the age of 18 are the sole income earners. Only a few decades ago it was difficult, if not impossible, for a woman alone to take out a mortgage. These days more and more women are buying homes on their own. In recent surveys single women have made up between 16 and 22 percent of homebuyers. Women are now killing their own spiders, mowing their own lawns and repairing their own toilets, etc.
With these facts it is little wonder that the single travel industry is booming. Travel companies and tour companies now have to accommodate these 'freemeals'. Lots of single travel tours are cropping up and holiday companies are designing holidays for these type of independent women. You only have to go on Google and type in 'single women travel tours' to see thousands of dedicated websites vowing for the top spot. If you are modern women and want to travel the world on your own there are a few tips you should take to avoid and stumbles along the way:
- Be prepared for the questions "Why are you traveling alone?" Many people will not understand your reasons for being single and wanting to travel alone. Being prepared for this question will put you in good stead and stop you getting taken off-guard or being bothered by the question.
- Use your instinct. Women are a lot more sensitive and emotional than men, this means they have a stronger stronger gut feeling or instinct, so use it. If you feel unsafe, you're probably right and should move away. Perhaps you will get weird vibes from some chap in the pub. If you feel uncomfortable and your alarm bells in your head are ringing then get out of the potential danger.
- If this is your first solo trip why not book with a pre-planned holiday tour company. As I said before there are literally thousands of companies designed for single female travelers. There will be someone to pick you up from the airport and take you to your hotel and then pick you up for tours. Some companies will put groups of single women on the same tour so you will be in good company.
- This is common sense but do not follow strangers to out-of-the-way places or accept accommodation or lifts from men or women you do not know.
- Do not wear flashy jewelery or expensive clothes' in public places as it will show people you have a lot of money. You will be more of a target for robbers if you flash your bling.
- Make sure you know what the emergency number of the country you are visiting and make sure you have a mobile phone charged on you at all times.
- Some cultures believe a women traveling alone is considered available. To avoid unwanted attention you could wear a false wedding ring.
- Tell some friends and family your plans and check back with them every now and then.
- Be prepared by having photocopies of your passport, ID and travel insurance.
- If you're worried about your lack of self defense skills why not take a basic class before your trip. This will give you more confidence in traveling solo.
Finally do not be scared. If you have chosen a single life by your own decisions then you are probably a very confident person full stop. Being alone can be and is fun. Ignore what your 'coupled' friends say about serial killers and rapists. Do not let them put you off because they think its dangerous. Couples can come into trouble just as easily as single people traveling. Use your common sense and play it safe. You will have a complete blast doing exactly what you want to do and when you want to do it.